Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Goodreads, Charity, and Breast Cancer Awareness

When you write a book about cancer, something funny happens.
You end up doing a ridiculous amount of research. So much so that your computer is probably concerned that you actually have it. You spend hours reading scientific articles about cancer treatments, scroll through website after website, and the more information you have, the more conflicted your emotions become.

Breast cancer is not one of those unknown cancers. There were an estimated 235,000 people diagnosed with breast cancer in the United States last year. October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, also known as Pink Month. People run for the cure, walk for the cure, strip for the cure, cook for the cure... you name it, if it's something you can do for the cure, someone is probably doing it.

The problem with a lot of these organizations that people are walking/running/watching reality TV for is that a large majority of the money doesn't actually go to the research of cancer itself, but for lots of other things. For every dollar you donate to some of the leading cancer research organizations, maybe a quarter actually goes to research.

As someone who's worked in a lab, and has relatives who are scientists, I can tell you that every penny counts when it comes to research. And if I'm going to be donating my money to aid the research of cancer, I'm going to want as much of my dollar to actually go to research as possible.

With ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG, I wanted to step out of my little bubble of me, myself and I and maybe use it for a greater good. I'm going to be talking about this a lot over the next few weeks, but I wanted to make this announcement now:

For every person who adds OTGDY to their Goodreads TBR list, I will be donating money to either MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas (where Milcah is treated), Memorial Sloane-Kettering (the cancer center in NYC, close to where I live) or the Breast Cancer Research Foundation. This will go on until April 1, 2014, when I will then tally up the numbers and make the appropriate announcements.

There are hundreds of organizations and hundreds of ways for us to get involved to help people battling cancer- not only breast cancer, but every other type as well. The bookish community is such a wonderful and giving place and I know that if we put our heads together we'll be able to come up with different ideas to show researchers, doctors, patients and families how much we care.

xo

3 comments:

  1. You are absolutely amazing. I'm proud to be able to call you my friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is so amazingly generous. You're one of the best people I know <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This is quite a good campaign! I’ve read the book, and I must say that the story is an eye-opener. It will make you realize how is it like to be in that kind of situation. A good read, indeed.

    Anyway, any updates on your campaign? Hope to hear from you soon!"

    Norman Watkins @ Giving Works

    ReplyDelete