Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Friendly Update (WIPMarathon)

Well, hey, y'all!
It's been a while since I updated this blog- and since I'm technically doing WiPMarathon this time around, I figured now would be a good time to update you, especially now that I have things to be updated.

WHAT I'M WRITING: After a long and grueling stay in the KK Revision Cave of Doom, I've finally clawed my way out. I revised one complete MS, and part of another one, before coming to the realization that the second MS needed more time before I finished revising it. Which meant adding it to the pile of MSs that need more time before I return to them.
It's funny, how every book I write has a very different process that I go through, from the initial idea to actually writing and revising. Some are faster, and some take a bit more time. I don't think that one version or another version makes the story itself better- that time isn't necessarily a key to perfection. Not that the ones that take less time are rushed- maybe I'm just in a place in my life that I connect with it better and it's easier for me to see where the story goes.
So after a few weeks of waffling between ideas and partially started MSs, I've finally found the things I wanted to work on- and it seems to solidly be two very different MSs, both of which I am at the crazy in love stage right now. (YAY!)
So, hi, WIPMarathon people :) I now have goals for now to February that don't include revisions, and I am SO HAPPY.
(Goals for next week: a total of 21k written)

WHAT I'M READING: All the books. Alllll the books.
Okay, not all of them, but a lot of them. Most recently, THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE and WHY WE BROKE UP, both books I highly recommend. A few MSs for incredibly talented friends, making me once again realize how lucky I am to have friends who are magicians with words.

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO: Okay, this is kind of embarrassing, because a lot of the songs on the playlist for one of the MSs....well, let's just say that I look like a crazed teenybopper fangirl, and it's hard to explain to people why I'm voluntarily listening to it. "It's for a book! Really!" But they don't believe me. SIGH.
(Although some of the songs I would voluntarily listen to, and have little shame about loving- One Direction's Story of My Life and BSB's Show 'Em (What You're Made Of).)

WHAT'S INSPIRING ME: My students. While teaching can be frustrating and stressful, having them routinely tell me that I know everything is lovely (I trained them well), but their creativity and belief in themselves is really magical. It's totally cliched, but I think that I learn more from them than they learn from me.

OTHER THINGS: 
-Well, it's been over a month since the release of HEART BREATHS, and I still can't believe that people are buying it. So, everyone who's bought a copy- *tackle hugs* thank you thank you thank you. And those of you who've reviewed it? On my list of Favorite People Ever. There's actually going to be a blog tour for HB, hosted by the lovely Shane at Itching For Books. If you're interested in joining, click here.
-I got on my soapbox earlier this week (you can read the whole rant here, if your heart so desires) but tl;dr? LM Augustine and I have started a Tumblr of NA books with nice guys and little to no sex. We haven't read all of them (it would be hard to have done so), but we've read blurbs and reviews and sample chapters. It's a great list if you're looking for a New Adult book that isn't all 'bad boy tattooed motorcycle rockstar sexsexsexsex'. http://niceguysinna.tumblr.com/thelist
-I may actually use my Tumblr account on occasion. Because obviously, I need something else to do when I should write :) (http://kkhendin.tumblr.com/)

So, that's what's going on around here! I'm hoping to share some news with y'all soonish, so keep your eyes peeled for that.
Hope you're all having a lovely weekend!
xo

1 comment: