Sunday, September 22, 2013

The Magical Tale of KK's Hidden Box of Books

Gather 'round, childrens. We're taking a break from not posting (even though I should be) about things, like Heart Breaths updates and such, to tell you a magical fairy tale with a happy ending.
Comfortable?
Excellent.

Once upon a time, a long time ago (okay, like, four years ago), I packed up my books and moved them to the garage. I was going to live abroad for a bit, and I knew that if I would leave them out, I'd probably never see half of them again.
Two years later, I moved back, and took my boxes of books out of storage.
There was only one problem- there was actually one more box. I knew there was- it didn't make sense for there not to be. Where were all my other books?
There must be some black hole in the garage, because as many times as I attempted to look for the box, I couldn't find it. Pausing the search usually was a result of an injury of some sort (not only is the garage equipped with a black hole, but apparently it's also equipped with enough booby traps to put me off looking forever).
But with all the holidays this month, the garage was going to be opened and things in there would actually be used. Which meant that maybe, just maybe, there was a possibility of me finally finding my box of books. A little over four years later.

That shriek of happiness you heard on Wednesday?
That was me. Finding me box of books.
And yes, I cut my finger on broken glass, so don't worry- there was still an injury. Maybe the garage doesn't actually have a black hole (doubtful), but it does have booby traps.
The grand total of books that were in the last box is 62 books and one review book (hello, US History & Government Regents Review book. I don't really need you anymore).

The past few holiday days featured me skipping happily around the house singing about finding my books again, and reading said books. I don't think my family is quite as excited as I am about it.
OH WELL.

Want to see some of my rediscovered books?
Of course you do. They're BOOKS. (WHEEEE!!!)

CRIMES OF FASHION

By Ellen Byerrum. I also have Raiders of the Lost Corset. I had the first one (Killer Hair), but I lent it to someone and never got it back. And apparently there are another few that I have yet to read! Have I added them to my TBR list? Um, obviously.
Crimes of Fashion are adorable- the main character, Lacey Smithsonian, is a fashion reporter with a flair for vintage who keeps finding herself in the middle of some seriously sticky situations. The cast of characters are quirky and wonderful, and even though I'm not always the biggest fan of clothing descriptions, it totally works for the series.

 SHOES, SHOES, SHOES

A birthday present from a friend. Who knows me and my love of shoes quite well. (Did I have a shoe calendar at one point? Yes, and it was GLORIOUS.)






ALL THE BOOKS. Barbara Delinsky, SEP, Kristin Hannah, Dave Barry, William Shakespeare, Anne George, Nathaniel Hawthorne...
AND LADIES OF THE CLUB- Makes me so happy that I found that book again :) It was actually a book that my great-grandmother and grandmother had read and recommended to me. Seeing it sitting on my bookshelf reminds me of my great-grandmother, who passed away the summer after I graduated high school.
HARRIET THE SPY: Do I even have to tell you that I wanted to be Harriet when I was younger? And I lived in an apartment building with a bus stop right outside. Prime spying location, let me tell you.
THE MISFITS: Oh, that book. All the hearts and love for that book. For every book I read as a kid that told me it was okay if I wasn't just like everyone else. 
DON'T LOOK DOWN: (not pictured, but there) The first of the Jennifer Crusie-Bob Meyer collaborations. In the ultimate KK universe, the two of them would write a million more books, because they are all kinds of fabulous. (And yes, I do own AGNES AND THE HITMAN and WILD RIDE.)


My grandmother bought these books for me on a trip she took me to Arizona (mostly the Grand Canyon, but a bunch of other places as well). I haven't read them since I was around thirteen (when I got them), but they were a lot of fun to read then, having just visited all the places written about in the books.

Most of these books were purchased at the library book sale in my grandparent's neighborhood- God bless their library, they have an ongoing used book sale in the basement of the library, with book pricing ranging from $0.50 to $3.00 a book. It is a magical place, and I am physically incapable of walking out of there without buying at least ten books. And yes, it is an essential part of every grandparently visit.

And yes, my grandparents are definitely book buying enablers. 

So that's just a few of the books I found this past week, which gave me all the nostalgic happy book feels. 

And then KK and all her books lived happily ever after. Until she had to find a place to keep them.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment