Saturday, August 24, 2013

WIP Marathon Check In #3

Happy Saturday evening, darlings!
Just a quick little WIP Marathon Check-In, and then back to edits!

Last Week's Word Count: 38,382
This Week Word Count: Unknown :) I finished the MS on Tuesday, and went right to edits.

WIP Issues This Week: Hmm. Not so much issues, but more surprise when all kinds of things showed up in the story that I wasn't expecting. Like backstories and a few entertaining adventures, which required all sorts of interesting Google searches.
What did you Google search? You may ask.
If you're the NSA, you already know :) Other than that, I can't tell you, because, spoilers.

What I Learned This Week: You can actually write an ENTIRE book without having a plot. Seriously. I'm probably as shocked as you are. Maybe more, because I watched myself do it.
I think one of the reasons I was able to pull it off, and in such a short period of time, is that I have followed the words of a very wise friend.
*Little backstory* When I first started writing (with the intention of finishing something), I was writing a book which suddenly was the fourth book in the series. I had written over 50,000 words. Almost the whole book. Predictably, I completely freaked out. Wise Friend sat on the phone with me and listened to me babble about it being the fourth book but maybe it's not and I'm just insane and I'm almost finished and oh my gawd what am I gonna do, and then gave me the best advice ever, which I am now passing to you.
Just write.
Seriously. Tell your brain to shut up, and just let your fingers do the work. You're a lot more talented and creative than you give yourself credit for. Trusting that somewhere inside you is a little genius who just needs you to get out of the way so they can create magic is the greatest thing you can do for yourself.
True, it's a lot easier said than done. But if there's anything you're going to try to do in your writing, it's learning to trust yourself and your words.

What Distracted Me This Week: I'm publishing a book in November! That was pretty distracting.
(And yes, you can go add Heart Breaths to your Goodreads TBR list right HERE)

Last 200 Words: As usual, nope :) But I will say that when I hit 100 adds on GR, I will start posting teasers for Heart Breaths. And yes, that is total blatant bribery. I don't really do subtle too well.

Happy weekend, lovelies!
xo

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for this advice! New mantra henceforth. I mean, I have an outline and all but it still gets hard on some days.

    And congrats on Heart Breaths! It sounds interesting and naturally, has ended up on my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just repeat it to myself over and over and over again when I get stuck, and eventually it sticks :)

      And YAY for the GR add! xo

      Delete
  2. Congrats on finishing your story!

    I've many a plot-less story. o_O
    Best advice ever! ^_^

    More congrats on your upcoming book!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on both finishing your story and getting another published!

    I love it when a story throws surprises at you, I definitely think that's one of the perks of being a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story throwing surprises is my favorite. I just type and laugh :)

      Delete
  4. Just write. That is excellent advice.

    Great job finishing your WIP and congrats on your upcoming book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been leaning heavy on google for research also. What did writers do before the internet I keep wondering. Great news about your book coming out in November.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What you learned this week is pretty much the most inspiring thing I've read in a long time! It gives me so much hope! Thanks for that. :D I'm a serious pantser and I lack positive panster role models! feeling better about my plotless pansting process now. Well done and keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete