Tuesday, August 20, 2013

HOLY FREAK. (BIG STINKIN NEWS HERE.)

Once upon a time, a long time ago, there was a girl named KK.
And all she ever wanted to do was write.
Seriously.
That's it.

Okay, there were other things that were fun to do, also, but the thing that really kept her going? The thing that she loved to do more than anything in the whole wide world? Write. Tell stories. She published her first story when she was in first grade, and her family, God bless them, continues to quote it to this day.
("I canot slep with out my blacy" is the line they love the most. Literary GOLD right there, I tell you.)

For years, she wrote stories. In the beginning, they were all pretty much the same. Usually involved a boarding school and some fantastical things that happened to the main character, who was pretty and rich and popular and had everything she ever could want (KK's writing, ages 7-9). There were a few other general themes, but yup. Super Miss Original.

And then she started branching out, and actually starting to write actual things.
Never did she ever finish one of them ever, but she started. She started over and over and over again, writing and writing and writing.
Until one day, she just kind of stopped. She didn't know what it was. It slowly petered out, until she wasn't really writing much at all.
Y'all. It was depressing.
She'd still have random ideas for stories, and she just filed them away, thinking, yeah, that would be cool, and never really did anything about them.

Fast forward to January 1, 2013.
Scene: KK is at Grandma and Grandpa's house, trying to put her all togethers back all together after recently having left a job that... well, let's just say I needed to put my all togethers back all together after this job.
ANYWAY. So there I was, January 1st, and everyone's all, Hooray! New Year's Resolutions!
I have never New Year's Resolved. Ever. But what the heck, I figured, I may as well try this year. If there was ever a year that I should be resolving things, it was this one.
Honestly, I have no idea what was actually on that list.

There are only two things I remember from that list.
A. start crocheting again, and make a little crocheted bunny dude
B. finish writing a book, darn it, and self-publish.

Because as long as I was going to make a New Year's Resolution list, I may as well put, ya know, HUGE THINGS on there. And yes, I'm pretty sure 'figure out life' was on there, too.
Within a week from that resolution, I had started a Twitter account, because that's where are the fun writerly people are, and started this blog.

Then I started writing.
In March, I wrote the words THE END for the first time, and cried.
In May, I wrote them for the second time and cried again.

Heart Breaths was a story that had actually been floating around in my head for a while- almost a year. I wrote it in around two weeks (you can read about that here), and have spend a lot more time than that revising it, and revising it, and more revising it.
But the time has come, the walrus said.

And so.
(EEP.)
Here's the official announcement.
*clears throat*

HEART BREATHS is going to be published by moi on November 5th, 2013.


*freaks out*

Official Synopsis/Blurb:
After a tragedy nearly ripped 21 year old Madeline Darlington-Gray’s life in half, she's spent the past three years trying to put the pieces back together. But pieces never just fit back together, and when she's betrayed by those she trusts, everything crumbles. Shoving everything she owns into the trunk of her car, Maddie drives south, trying to run from her past.
Eno, North Carolina seems like the perfect place to hide. Working at a local café is light years from Maddie's Manhattan existence and for the first time in a while, she's finding her family. There's Grandma, the café owner; Samantha, the hairstylist next door with plans to make Maddie's life unsuck and Noie, the three year old girl who's stolen Maddie's heart.

And then there’s Gabriel Mendez, Noie’s single dad. He’s intrigued Maddie since the first time she met him, and while he has his own secrets, he wants more from her than just friendship. But the past never stays past, and all too soon, Maddie realizes she can't hide from hers. If she can't put the pieces of her shattered life together this time, she'll have no hope for a future.
A future she desperately wants.


You can add it to Goodreads HERE

A few questions answered:
1. Are you going to only be self publishing?
Eh. Probably not. I'm actually polishing up a YA contemp MS for querying right now, which means, yes, I have made my life a lot crazier than it could be. Long term I'd love to have a mix of self-published and traditionally published books, either with Big Six or small press.

2. Why are you self-publishing Heart Breaths?
A whole slew of reasons. First of all, it's NA, which is a genre that's a little harder to sell than something more mainstream, like YA contemp. Traditional publishing has a two year lag time, and considering how fast the market is changing, I don't know how comfortable I feel only starting to try to get it published now. It's not only NA, but NA that isn't rated NC-17 (as in, no super explicit sex scenes. If you were hoping for them, sorry. Not here. Sexiness? Yes. Super explicit and all the sex? Nope), and isn't your regular NA romance. It's got a tinge of supernatural in it, too, not enough to classify it as paranormal, but enough for it to be noteworthy. It's kind of genred and genreless, all at the same time.
And possibly I may be a bit of a control freak. Maybe. ;)

3. When can I read it?
GOD BLESS YOU. November 5th, should everything go as planned :)
If you're a book blogger and would like to review it early, please email me and let me know, and we can discuss all of those lovely, lovely things.
I'm going to be putting out the official call for the street team later, but if you'd like to sign up now, you can HERE and I would love you forever and ever and always.

To all of you reading this blog, to all the wonderful and magical people on Twitter who've inspired me and kept me sane since I've started this crazy journey of being A Writer, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. I love you all to a million pieces, and hope that you'll love Heart Breaths as much as I do.

All the x's and o's,
KK

5 comments:

  1. I AM SO EXCITED AHHHHHHHH CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALEX!!!!! *HUGS* thank you :) xoxo

      Delete
    2. uh...not sure if that comment went through? anyway, as i was saying...congrats! and i would love to read/learn more about your self-pub process, the nuts and bolts, yanno, all of the etceteras. if of course you'd like to share. heart breaths sounds super! cheers!

      Delete