Monday, May 13, 2013

Tackle Hugs Of Awesome (Click To Subscribe by L.M. Augustine)

I only do an occasional book review, a. because if I wrote a book review for every book I read, I would be posting almost daily and as much as I’d love to, ain’t nobody got time for that (and if they do, they aren’t me) and b. because I still have no idea if I know how to write a normal book review (See, every book review I’ve posted here and on Bookalicious). And c. because I can’t rate things. Or grade things.
This is probably why I’m not an English teacher.
I need a rubric for rating things, people!
(Note to self: make rating rubric.)

BUT.
When I read a book I love so very very much, I lose any sense of boundaries when it comes to telling people to read it. Like, you don’t even have to ask me for a book recommendation, you don’t have to like reading that genre, darn it, you don’t even have to READ, and I will still tell you about the book.

Honestly, I don’t recommend books often, because I never know what other people like reading.

And then sometimes, the book is so excellent, that I don’t care. (Like every book written by Cathy Lamb. Go. Right Now. And then come back and finish reading this.)

I have just added another book to that list.

EMOTIONAL BACKSTORY: (Because there always is one. Always.)

My life, to put it mildly, has been quite the emotional rollercoaster recently. The past two weeks? Lordy Lordy Lordy. Without going into too much detail (this is not free therapy, y’all), every single part of my life has kind of exploded in my face, like some really sucky and poorly timed fireworks.
But I’m healthy and not homeless, so thank God. (Perspective, perspective, perspective.)
Anyway.
Life has been interesting.
Thursday was not such a pleasant day for all sorts of super excellent (read: not) reasons. Really, there have been better days.
Until.

I had purchased the lovely L.M. Augustine’s book, Click To Subscribe earlier in the week, but had been busy busy busy and had not yet had a chance to read it. So on my way home from school, I pulled out the iPad and started to read.
Y’all.

Stop right now (sorry for all the stoppings. Actually? No, not really sorry), and go make your way over to Amazon and purchase yourself a copy, if you have yet to do so.
Seriously?

If I could turn the book into a teddy bear of awesome, I would. I would snuggle it at night and pinch it’s adorable cheeks and post so many cheesy pictures of it on Facebook, people would start getting nervous.
That is how much I loved it.

To describe Click to Subscribe in four words? Tackle-hug of awesome.

SUMMARY:
1,135,789. That’s how many subscribers sixteen-year-old West Ryder has on his web vlog series. But he only has eyes for one of them.

As one of the internet’s most prestigious video bloggers, West talks about high school relationships under the name “Sam Green.” As far as he knows, no one from school, not even his best friend, Cat, has seen his videos. But the highlight of the whole thing is Harper Knight, who comments every day at exactly 2:02 in the afternoon. He doesn’t know anything about her aside from the occasional deep philosophical messaging on why pizza tastes so delicious, but as stupid as it sounds, he might be falling for her. So when they finally agree to meet in real life, West’s hope for romance seems more and more in reach. But that all changes as soon as he arrives at their meeting spot and sees Cat walking toward him, wearing the same “I <3 Sam Green” T-shirt Harper promised she'd have on.

To his alarm, West realizes he is falling in love with the best friend who has always been a sister to him.


THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY:
This book?
Best mood booster ever.

The characters were hilariously real and weird- goofy and awkward and wonderfully adorkable. Though there were times where I wanted to smack West for being such a stupid BOY, I understood why he was. And then I just wanted to hug him. His relationship with his father was interesting, and not as fully fleshed out as I thought it would be, especially for the history they have.
Cat?
The girl kicks some serious butt. Telling a guy (and not only a guy, but your best friend) that you love him, and dealing with the fact that he completely freaks out? She has been added to the fictional-characters-I-want-to-be-when-I-grow-up list.
This was not a story of insta-luuuuuurve, which made me wonderfully happy, as I'm not really a fan. It was a light, wonderful read. Kind of like ice cream, minus the brain freeze. Except for ice cream has never made me giggle-snort on the subway.

-Note: Nobody gave me the book for free- I bought it, read it, and loved it. And IMHO? You should also.

And now I want some ice cream.

Also!

Go bother L.M. all over the social medias.

Because he’s a fun one, and has mad circle drawing skillz, yo.





And, oh yeah, BUY THE BOOK.

And that is all for now!

I’m heading back to my writing cave, because this WiP is FLYING, peoples. And then some Jewish holidays (Shavuot) Tuesday night to Thursday night, so I’ll be back next week with other entertaining things and book reviews and sunshine and happiness and all kinds of stuff like that.

Wooo!

*boogies to writing cave*

Sayonara, chicitas y chicitos!

No comments:

Post a Comment