Thursday, February 7, 2013

Why I Judge Books By Their Cover, and Why You Should, Too. (Featuring Laura Howard)


“Don’t Judge a Book By It’s Cover”
So goes the phrase, but in actuality, does anyone really not judge a book by it cover? No. (Don't pretend you don't, we know you do. It's okay. We all do it.) While the quote was talking about judging people based on their appearances, and makes an excellent point,  I’m going to take this quote a bit literally today and tell you why you actually should in fact, judge a book by its cover.

Especially a self-published book.

Here’s the problem with self publishing. (Just a review here- no major earth shattering revelations.)
There are some people whose books are a result of the sweat blood and tears of not only an author, but their beta readers, editors, friends, publicity people they may have hired, graphic designers, should they have chosen to hire one. As well they should. Because, y’all, self-publishing should not be ‘oh, I wrote a piece of crap and I’m going to upload it onto Amazon with some crappy cover or not even a cover and a book that hasn't even been copy-edited at all, and expect to make a million dollars and end up with a publishing deal'.
Just, no.

And this is why I judge books by their cover.
It I see a book that has a nice, well designed cover that seems to be related to what the book is actually about (another mistake people make is deciding that for some reason, we’re all mind readers and can tell what the correlation is between their book cover is and the actual book is about. Unless there was a mix-up? I don’t even know. My mid reading skills suck), there are certain assumptions I will make.

Like the person who wrote the book used spell check. And beta readers. Perhaps an editor or two. That they took their book seriously enough to hire someone to make sure that the book looked as pretty as it was easy to read. That they cared enough to make an effort to make sure they weren't just publishing complete and utter crap.

And when someone takes their work seriously? Well, chances are it will be a good book. A wonderful, fabulous book, in fact.

Which is why I've decided to start taking part in helping with cover reveals.
Not only are they a way for me to help spread the word about upcoming books that I want to read (so we can all read them and then discuss them), but even if I don’t know the author well, I can tell you one thing.

The fact that they cared enough to spend the time on the cover tells me that they take their book seriously. That chances are, I’ll be recommending it to people when I read it.

So, I’ll be here, still judging.
And probably also lusting after gorgeous cover designs. But it's all good- because when the day comes, my cover will show people that I actually care.
And since you can't all see me with my little sign, this is my way of telling you. It's your way of telling your readers- I respect the work I've done enough to invest in it to make sure it kicks ass.
Because, of COURSE it does.

One of my first real introductions to the world of independent publishing was the form of a fabulously excellent lady from New Hampshire. We were in a business and marketing class together, and soon became friends. Now, I knew Laura wrote, but I never understood the depth and power of independent publishing until I started reading her blog and seeing her interact allllll over social media. (Because she is the queen of social media. I’m sure she has a crown hidden somewhere up there. If not, I’ll have to send one.)

So I can honestly say that everything and anything that comes out of the blog, or me actually doing something with my writing, will all be thanks to Laura. (But if it’s bad, it’s all my fault.)

Like I mentioned, I love cover reveals because not only are they awesome for stirring excitement, it helps me find the authors who care about the work they put out, and chances are, aren’t just doing it for the money.  
And so when Laura mentioned she was looking for people to spread the love (and book cover envy, truthfully) about her upcoming paranormal NA romance, The Forgotten Ones, I jumped at the chance.
Although there isn’t much I won’t do for her.

I hope I haven’t scared her off- but truth be told, I’ve said stranger things to her.

Without further ado, I’d like to invite you to join me in this book cover-lusting party, and just stop for a minute and drool appropriately at the cover of Laura’s new book.


BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Allison O'Malley just graduated from college. Her life's plan is to get a job and take care of her schizophrenic mother. She doesn't have room for friends or even Ethan, who clearly wants more. 

When Allison's long-lost father shows up, he claims he can bring her mother back from the dark place her mind has sent her. He reveals legends of a race of people long forgotten, the Tuatha de Danaan, along with the truth about why he abandoned her mother.

I’ll give you a minute.

I know- you can WEEP with envy, can you not?
To be one hundred percent honest, I was a little weary originally when Laura mentioned that it was paranormal romance. Paranormal, science fiction and fantasy are tricky genres for me- usually with a lot more miss than hit. 

But the summary, the cover (designed by Stephanie Mooney), and the fact Laura is Laura and she is a phenomenal writer (and has been teasing us with bits from the novel), I knew that this would be one book that I would be buying the day it came out.
If you haven't joined the 1200 or so brilliant people who think so to and have added it to their TBR list on Goodreads, now is your chance. 

You can say hi to Laura by visiting her at her blog, or saying hi on Facebook or Twitter.

AND!!
Just in case you thought Laura was not excellent enough, to show your appreciation for helping her spread the word about her upcoming book (May 15!!), you can enter the rafflecopter drawing on her page for a chance to win a fifty-dollar gift card.
Which, of course, you can use to buy a whole lot of books.

Isn’t life just grand sometimes?
-KK


PS: *Shameless self-promotion!!* As long as you’re on twitter, spreading the good news about Laura and her upcoming book, feel free to say hi to me on Twitter, as well J My Twitter handle is @kkhendin (Super original, I know). And since it’s always fun to use bribery/incentives to get things done, I’ve decided that once I hit one hundred followers on twitter, I will reveal the title of my work in progress.
Really, I’d just promise to bake someone a cake, but that’s waaaaay to complicated. This is much less messy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment